Thursday, October 6, 2011

I filed a windshield claim with USAA.... HELP!!!!!?

I changed my policy recently to a $0 deductible for comprehensive coverage. When I called to claim my crack in the windshield, I stupidly told them the crack occured before I changed my policy. I didnt move forward with the claim, but now I have ANOTHER crack on top of the old one and have GOT to get it fixed. I am afraid to file another claim so soon, and do not know what to do.



My question is: Do you get penalized for filing windshield claims even if you DONT end up going through with them?



Will my rates increase for filing claims so close together?



Will they honor my new policy change for the new crack even with the old crack still being there from before the policy change?
I filed a windshield claim with USAA.... HELP!!!!!?
You can submit your new claim to USAA. It would be best if you are honest and upfront with them regarding the crack. They have your first claim on record and can cross reference the damages easily.



Any crack large than a dollar bill cannot be fixed, and should be replaced. You can either replace the glass on your own ($200-$300) with any mobile auto glass company. Or you can follow up with your new claim, where your insurance company will probably charge you %26quot;betterment%26quot; or %26quot;wear and tear%26quot;. You can be charged with up to 75% wear and tear, meaning that even with coverage, you might be paying about $225 out of pocket.
I filed a windshield claim with USAA.... HELP!!!!!?
If the windshield was cracked and not replaced, it will not be covered under the change to the policy. If you had replaced the windshield and the new one was damaged, it would be covered.



You will need to replace the windshield at your own cost, or at least pay the deductible that was in place at the time of the first damage.



All you can expect from insurance is that they will get you back to the situation you were in before the covered loss. In this case, you had a cracked windshield. They will not pay to repair previous damage.





Sorry
You have created a quandry for yourself. When you decided not to go through with the first claim, you should have still repaired the windshield, taken a photo of it or sent the bill in to prove that it was repaired. Now, they are going to doubt the claim on the second crack.



Comprehensive claims are usually not held against you. However, if you continue to break windshields, they can increase your deductible so that it will not cover your repairs.



I just asked my husband who has been a claims adjuster for 30 years. He says, %26quot;They owe you to put you back to what you had before you had the second crack in the windshield, which is a broken windshield, which has no value. If your company offers anything, you are going to be lucky.