Thursday, October 6, 2011

Windshield Repair!?

HELP! Windshield Repair

Question Details: I just got my windshield %26quot;repaired%26quot; by some guys who tried to get me to replace it since the beginning. I asked them to do the repair first b/c I wanted to see what it would like look before I got a replacement.



It looks exactly the same! No change at all. I think they just want me to replace the windshield, but I would rather have it repaired correctly. The rock chip is about the size of a nickel...it's tiny and I just can't believe it would still be visible if they had done it right.



Can anyone recommend a company? Preferably from personal experience. I live in Charlotte, NC.



Thanks! :o)
Windshield Repair!?
I have a couple of comments:

1st I'm really sorry you had to deal with a hack!

2nd if he did actually put any %26quot;repair%26quot; material (resin) in the chip it is sealed and no one will be able to repair that particular chip.

Also, if the chip was new it should have come out clear (not able to see) if it was repaired with a suction kit. Basically the air and impurities should have been removed with suction and then replaced with resin then pressure to push the resin into all the parts of the chip. The last step of the repair process is to cure it with a UV lamp and then buff the area to be sure that it is smooth again.

In the future when you get a rock chip put a piece of clear tape on it ASAP, to keep it clean and dry. Don't wash your car with high pressure wash until you get it fixed. And _if_ you can find someone who offers repair first service use them. Not a replacement company who also will repair.

Lastly, GOOD LUCK!!
Windshield Repair!?
I agree with Cindy T. Hi Cindy

Report Abuse


Two things. Safelite auto glass is across the US and does a great job. You can see if they are nearby by looking here: http://www.safelite.com/locator.jsp



Second... glass repair won't fix how it looks... it will just ensure that it will not crack further from heat/cold weather. We had it done and the guy warned me that it won't look much better. It did look better... but not much.
they cant always repair them and make them look like nothing ever happened to them,that's why the guy tried to get you to replace it,he knew it wouldn't come out looking good,he probably repaired it the best that it could be done,any large place on a glass and it will be noticeable,so you should have listened to him and had it replaced,there a limit as to the size of a repair they can do,without it being noticeable,any place that large in a glass will be noticeable,so now you,ll have to replace it if you want it to actually go away,good luck with it.